YouTube vlogs are no longer simply hobbies or diversions. If you are serious about creating and marketing high-quality video posts for your small business on a regular basis, then you could start making money from the ads Google places on your videos. Building your vlog’s reputation and viewership to the level where you are making serious money from Google’s revenue sharing will take time. Starting down this path, however, is as simple as creating a Google account for your YouTube vlog, creating an AdSense account to handle your payments and uploading your first vlog post to YouTube.
1. Log on to YouTube and click “Create Account” in the top right-hand corner of the screen. This will lead you to the Google Accounts page, where you will fill in all the necessary fields to create a Google account that will also be your YouTube account. If you already have a Google account you want to use, then this step is unnecessary.
2. Return to YouTube and click “Sign In” in the upper-right corner of the screen. Enter your account credentials on the next page.
3. Click on “My channel” in the left side of the screen. Select the options you want to apply to your channel, then click “OK, I’m ready to continue.” This will set up your account’s YouTube channel, to which you will upload all your videos.
4. Click on your account name in the upper-right portion of the screen, then select “YouTube Settings.” Click on “Monetization” from the list of sections on the left side of the screen, then click the blue “Enable Monetization” button.
5. Click “How will I be paid?” under “Guidelines and Information,” then click the link text that says “Associate an AdSense account.” Follow the instructions on the page that comes up to apply for the AdSense account through which Google will pay you for any money your videos make.
6. Record your video. When you are done, return to your channel page and click on the “Videos” tab. Click “Upload a Video” from the list of possible options, select your video from the window that pops up, then click “Open.”
7. Click the box next to “Submit this video for revenue sharing,” then answer the questions about its content. Google will not automatically approve every video you submit for monetization, but it will approve videos to which you drive significant viewership and that meet its quality guidelines.
8. Proceed to fill in descriptive information about the video under “Video information and privacy settings.” Use a catchy title, and common tag words, to maximize your video’s presence on search engines and YouTube search results. Choosing “Public” in your privacy options will maximize the video’s visibility and its eventual number of viewers.
9. Market your video. Post the video’s link on your different social media accounts as well as any blogs you maintain. You can also post the video’s link on forums you frequent, as well as email the link to different bloggers and ask them to post it on their sites. The more places on the Internet you post the video’s links, the more traffic you will drive to the video.
10. Continue posting videos and marketing them on a regular schedule.